Two Walker Valley High School students were transferred to T.C. Thompson’s Children’s Hospital at Erlanger in Chattanooga Friday after being transported to SkyRidge Medical Center from the school.
According to Bradley County Schools information, the students were transported “due to the ingestion of muscle relaxants and cough syrup” before arriving at school.
“We want to express our concern for the students and their families. They are in our thoughts and prayers at this time,” Director of Bradley County Schools Johnny McDaniel said in a release.
In a statement issued Friday, the school system stated its preventive efforts in educating students about the dangers of drug abuse.
“The Bradley County School System is pro-active within all schools to inform students of the dangers of drugs, including the abuse of over-the-counter and prescription drugs,” it stated.
“We emphasize the health and well-being of our students and encourage them to make good choices and to take care of their bodies,” McDaniel said.
Stan Clark, public information officer for Bradley County Emergency Medical Service, confirmed that two ambulances were dispatched to the school Friday, one at 8:13 a.m and another at around 9 a.m.
“The first patient is in serious, but stable condition,” Clark said Friday. “The second patient is in stable condition.”
No update on the patients conditions was available at press time. Names of the patients are not being released because they are minors
An investigation is under way by the WVHS School Resource Officer with the Bradley County Sheriff's Office.