Bancroft Church of God marks 90th anniversary
Aug 16, 2013 | 842 views | 0 0 comments | 11 11 recommendations | email to a friend | print
In 1917, a Sunday school was held a the home of Darius Bancroft. The Sunday school grew to become the Bancroft Church of God.

On Saturday and Sunday, the congregation at Bancroft Church of God will be celebrating its 90th anniversary.

Special guests in both services will be the Ronnie Branham Family Next Generation.

Saturday’s service begins at 7 p.m. and Sunday morning’s service at 10:45.

The first Sunday school classes were held in the Bancroft’s house in the winter and in the yard in the summer.

Prayer meetings were moved from house to house until the church was built.

The regular speakers were Drucie Owen and Darius Bancroft. When visiting preachers were in the neighborhood, special services were held. Two early visiting preachers were Hershel Scoggins and Johnnie Cagle.

George Bancroft donated an acre of land for the church building and graveyard. A little tabernacle was built on the side of the road. The 20-by-30-foot building had sawdust floors, and rough lumber seats. The church was heated by wood in large oil drums. Lighting was provided by oil lamps which hung on the walls and on the Bible stand.

On March 18, 1923, the church was set in order and named Bancroft Church of God in honor of George and Darius Bancroft.

The first pastor was W.F. Bryant (March 1923 to August 1927). He would walk eight miles to attend church.

Pastor Mitchell Wilson invites the public to help the congregation celebrate this 90th milestone.