Chief Vann House to hold open house
Sep 23, 2012 | 1045 views | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Chief Vann House in Chatsworth, Ga., will have an open house with free admission on Sept. 29 from 10 a.m. to 4p.m. During the early 1800’s James Vann and his son Joseph were wealthy Cherokee businessmen who owned the largest and most prosperous plantation in the Cherokee Nation.

It once covered 1,000 acres of what is now Murray County, Georgia and included 96 buildings. Centerpiece of the plantation was a beautiful two and one half-story brick mansion constructed in 1804.

Today the brick mansion survives as one of America’s best-preserved historic Cherokee Indian homes.

The house was donated to the state of Georgia in 1952 and after restoration opened to the public in 1958.

During the open house visitors may tour the mansion at their own pace with guides stationed inside to answer questions. Also available during the open house and free of normal admission fees is an interpretive center with exhibits and a short film covering the history of the Cherokee Nation and the Vann family, a nature trail leading to Vann’s springs, Vann’s Kitchen with exhibits on the 110 African slaves who lived on the plantation, a restored Cherokee dwelling house, and the Moravian Mission Cemetery known as “God’s Acre.”

The Chief Vann House is located on Georgia Highway 225, three miles west of Chatsworth.

For additional information phone 706-695-2598.