Conservation Reserve Program sign-up to finish June 14
by Special to the Banner
May 26, 2013 | 457 views | 0 0 comments | 4 4 recommendations | email to a friend | print

The U.S. Department of Agriculture will conduct a four-week Conservation Reserve Program general sign-up beginning May 20 and ending on June 14 for farmers and ranchers, according to County Executive Director Todd Trew.

He also announced the restart of sign-up for continuous CRP, including the Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program, State Acres for Wildlife Enhancement Initiative, the Highly Erodible Land Initiative, the Grassland Restoration Initiative, the Pollinator Habitat Initiative and other related initiatives.

Sign-up for continuous CRP began on May 13 and will continue through Sept. 30.

“As always, we expect strong competition to enroll acres into CRP, and we urge interested producers to maximize their environmental benefits and to make cost-effective offers,” Trew said.

CRP is a program for protecting environmentally sensitive lands from erosion and sedimentation and for ensuring the sustainability of our groundwater, lakes, rivers, ponds and streams.

Producers are also encouraged to look into other CRP enrollment opportunities offered on a continuous, non-competitive, sign-up basis.

USDA provides participants with rental payments and cost-share assistance.

Contract duration is between 10 and 15 years. Currently, 27 million acres are enrolled in CRP through 700,000 contracts on 390,000 farms in 49 states and Puerto Rico.

Contracts on an estimated 3.3 million acres will expire on Sept. 30.

Enrollment authority for all types of CRP, which expired Sept. 30, 2012, was extended through 2013 by the American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012.

Offers for general sign-up CRP contracts are ranked according to an Environmental Benefits Index.

USDA Farm Service Agency offices collect data for each of the EBI factors based on the relative environmental benefits for the land offered.

For more information on CRP and other FSA programs, visit a local FSA service center or