Early morning fire singes Stadium BBQ
by GREG KAYLOR Banner Staff Writer
Dec 10, 2013 | 1086 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Cleveland Fire Department officials are working today to determine the cause of a fire at a popular local restaurant.

Firefighters were on the scene at Stadium BBQ within three minutes of their call-out.

The barbecue restaurant is located on Stuart Avenue, near 17th Street.

According to CFD Commander Greg Hooper, when firefighters arrived on the scene just before 1 a.m. today, they found the porch at the front of the building engulfed in flames.

Hooper said the flames did break into the interior structure of the building, but were quickly contained.

Chattanooga Gas Co. officials were notified of a ruptured natural gas line.

They responded to the scene and reportedly had to dig up the roadway to reach a shut-off valve.

Firefighters remained on the scene for approximately three hours while work was being performed to shut off the gas line leading to the building.

According to Hooper, smoke damage was noted inside the kitchen area of the business and only minimal smoke damage in the dining room portion.

“At this time, the cause of the fire is undetermined, but it is possible it originated at the barbecue smoker,” Hooper said.

CFD Fire and Arson investigator Ben Atchley responded to the scene during the initial investigation and is expected to continue looking into the cause of the fire.

Hooper said damage to the building was assessed at $30,000, while damage to contents was listed at $10,000.

n A small lawn trailer and seed spreader were taken recently from an Armstrong Road residence.

According to a report filed by deputy Paul Singleton, Raymond Giles said someone took his John Deere lawn trailer and the spreader from his barn.

Giles told the deputy he had prior issues with people at his barn.

Giles valued his loss at $175.

n Two canines were taken from an East Bunt Drive residence, as reported to authorities Sunday.

According to a report filed by deputy Adam Ensley, Steven Bates said he arrived home from work and found his two female Red Heeler dogs missing from their kennel.

Bates noted that the other canines were still in the kennel and only the two were missing.

A suspect was named in the case. The canines were valued at $1,000.