Fifth-grader finds loaded gun on playground, follows safety procedure
by By GREG KAYLOR Banner Staff Writer
May 20, 2012 | 31230 views | 0 0 comments | 60 60 recommendations | email to a friend | print
A very well-informed fifth-grader at Oak Grove Elementary School reportedly followed procedure when he found a loaded gun on the playground at the school Friday.

Officials have not released the name of the student, but are planning on presenting a certificate to him Monday, according to Bob Gault, media relations coordinator for the Bradley County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputy Jay Lawson, the school’s Resource Officer teaches students throughout the year by using the “Eddie Eagle” safety program.

Lawson had taught the students at the school to recognize danger through a “GunSafe” presentation, documented in the Eddie Eagle program which is associated with the National Rifle Association.

Just after 10 a.m. Friday, the fifth-grader found a loaded .22-magnum pistol laying near the swing set area on the playground at the school.

The gun was identified as a small-frame American Arms model.

Lawson reportedly checked the National Crime Information Center database and could not locate an owner, nor was it reported stolen.

Gault said the student followed all the guidelines of the program he had been taught through the Eddie Eagle instruction which deals in firearm safety.

“He went straight down the line. The student identified the weapon, told others to get back away from it and yelled for a teacher,” Gault said. “One, two and three, just what he had learned.”

According to the NRA Eddie Eagle website, the program is typically taught to pre-K through third or fourth-grade students.

“As a law enforcement agency, we depend on the training our deputies receive and programs such as NRA’s Eddie Eagle which helps them inform students about public safety,” Sheriff Jim Ruth said .

“We are thankful this student had been through this program. Through what deputy Lawson taught him, he was able to recognize danger and make sure the correct protocol was followed, alerting the other students and the faculty. If a younger student had picked up the weapon, it could have possibly been tragedy on the playground,” Ruth said.