Jeff May, 26, suffered burns Friday as a propane stove inside his camper “flashed” and caught him afire. According to family members, May was taken to the center just as doctors upgraded Phillip Shelton’s condition and transferred him.
Shelton, a Bowater employee and captain of Bradley County Fire Rescue Station 9, has been improving over the past few weeks while at the nation’s largest burn center and has now been taken to Grady Memorial Health System’s Shepherd Center, a nationally acclaimed rehabilitation facility.
Shelton suffered second-degree burns on various parts of his body while he was battling a coal bunker fire at the plant Oct. 28. He in on the plant’s emergency response team.
Shelton has undergone skin grafting procedures and continues to improve. He had burns over 25 percent of his body.
May, who was lighting a cook stove inside a camper, suffered burns to his torso and lower extremities, according to Bradley County Emergency Medical Service information officer Stan Clark.
May’s motor home was totally engulfed when Bradley County Fire Rescue and other first responders arrived on the scene on Corvin Road Friday afternoon.
A nearby dwelling was also damaged during the fire.
May was treated at the scene by BCEMS paramedics, then flown to Erlanger Medical Center and is now being treated in Augusta.