The Lee University tennis teams hosted Young Harris College Wednesday afternoon at the DeVos Tennis Center. The Lady Flames edged No. 24 Young Harris, 5-4, while the Flames fell by the score of 7-2.
In the women's match, the Mountain Lions (2-7) held a 2-1 margin following the doubles matches. Sarah Mallett and Karyna Plastum defeated Lee's Kelsey Lovingood and Annie Sandberg 8-5 at No. 3 doubles. Diana DiMarco and Ann-Sophie Porry beat Tonya McGraner and Maclain Yowarksy by the same score at No. 1 doubles. Jodie Rice and Krista Good gave Lee a point with an 8-3 takedown of Kadie Hudgins and Victoria Herndon.
Young Harris claimed two of the first three concluded singles matches. Plastun held on to win against Yowarsky in three sets and DiMarco won in straight sets over Sandberg.
McGraner was a straight-set winner over Porry to pull Lee to within 4-2 with the No. 4-6 singles matches yet to be played.
Rice dropped just three games to Herndon. Good held off Hudgins to win her first set, 7-5, then cruised to the straight set victory with a 6-1 mark in the second set. Morgan Friedlander gave the Lady Flames the win with a straight-set defeat of Mallett.
The Flames (1-6) were not as fortunate. Young Harris (7-5) won 2-of-3 doubles matches and 5-of-6 singles matches to claim the team win.
Richard Gamble teamed with Daniel Hardesty to hold off Sebastian Edin and William Edin for a 9-7 win at No. 1 doubles.
Gamble gave Lee its lone singles win at the No. 2 spot. He lost the first set to Brecht Vangrinsven, 6-2, before fighting back to even the match and force a third frame with a 6-3 score in the second set. Gamble earned the win with a 6-4 mark in the third set.
The Lady Flames and Flames will be right back in action with a trip to Waleska, Ga., Thursday afternoon to face Reinhardt University. The nonconference matches are scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.
Lady Flames 5,
No. 24 Young Harris 4
1. Tonya McGraner (LU) def. Ann-Sophie Porry (YHC) 7-5, 6-2
2. Karyna Plastun (YHC) def. Maclain Yowarsky (LU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Diana DiMarco (YHC) def. Annie Sandberg (LU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Jodie Rice (LU) def. Victoria Herndon (YHC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Krista Good (LU) def. Kadie Hudgins (YHC) 7-5, 6-1
6. Morgan Friedlander (LU) def. Sarah Mallett (YHC) 6-0, 6-4
1. Diana DiMarco/Ann-Sophie Porry (YHC) def. Tonya McGraner/Maclain Yowarsky (LU) 8-5
2. Jodie Rice/Krista Good (LU) def. Kadie Hudgins/Victoria Herndon (YHC) 8-3
3. Sarah Mallett/Karyna Plastun (YHC) def. Kelsey Lovingood/Annie Sandberg (LU) 8-5
Young Harris 7,
1. Guilherme Frias (YHC) def. Alberto Calle (LU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Richard Gamble (LU) def. Brecht Vangrinsven (YHC) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Sebastian Edin (YHC) def. Daniel Hardesty (LU) 4-6, 6-0, 6-0
4. William Edin (YHC) def. Kevin Tan (LU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Abel Pigache (YHC) def. Vincent Audy (LU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Raul Quevedo (YHC) def. Westley Lemke (LU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Richard Gamble/Daniel Hardesty (LU) def. Sebastian Edin/William Edin (YHC) 9-7
2. Guilherme Frias/Raul Quevedo (YHC) def. Alberto Calle/Westley Lemke (LU) 8-3
3. Martin Harach/Sebastian Dartnell (YHC) def. Kevin Tan/Vincent Audy (LU) 8-5