When the boys were asked if they had attended church that day, they answered no. The men asked if they came by each Sunday, would the boys attend a Bible study. The answer was yes. Thus began what would become South Cleveland United Methodist Church.
The church is celebrating 100 years of serving God in the south part of Cleveland Sunday with a special homecoming service.
A former pastor, the Rev. Charles Dixon, will be the speaker for the 10:45 a.m. service Sunday. There will also be special singers in the service followed by a covered-dish dinner in the gym.
The Rev. Bruce Hensley, pastor, invites the public to help the church celebrate its centennial.
When the weather became colder in 1910, the founders of South Cleveland United Methodist were able to build a shed for their Bible studies. The Slab Shed, which the boys called the “Sheep Shed,” was replaced later by a church, which was moved to the site with a horse and buggy. The building was the Old Liberty Church from Spring Place Road.
The church quickly outgrew that building and Sunday school rooms, offices and a basement were added.
In 1954, the buildings were torn down and the present sanctuary erected. A gymnasium/fellowship hall was constructed in recent years. A playground for the children of the church and the community was added later.
Members of the church invite friends, members and former members to join the celebration.