The Lee University women's tennis team remained undefeated at 2-0 in Gulf South Conference (GSC) action and evened its overall record at 2-2 with an 8-1 defeat of University of West Georgia Saturday afternoon at the DeVos Tennis Center.
The Lady Flames took a 3-0 lead following the doubles competition. Tonya McGraner and Maclain Yowarsky defeated Sierra Brown and Cailey Stevens, 8-1, at No. 1 doubles. Jodie Rice and Krista Good needed a tie-breaker to earn the win at No. 2 doubles, 9-8 (8-6), against Nicole Northrup and Whitney Maples. Kelsey Lovingood and Annie Sandberg were 8-5 winners at No. 3 doubles over Katherin Burger and Kelly Arsenault.
Lee claimed three two-set victories in the singles matches. McGraner defeated Northrup 6-1, 6-3 at No. 1 singles. Yowarksy was a 6-2, 6-3 winner over Sierra Brown and Good took down Burger 6-3, 6-2.
Sandberg recovered from a 6-0 blanking in her first set against Stevens and used an 8-6 tie-breaker score to win the second set 7-6. Sandberg recorded the match win with a 10-5 super set tie-breaker.
Rice won in straight sets, but needed a 7-4 score in a second set tie-breaker to earn the 6-2, 7-6 (7-4) win.
Arsenault gave West Georgia (0-6, 0-3 GSC) its lone point with a win over Morgan Friedlander at No. 6 singles.
The Lady Flames get back to action with a trip to Chattanooga to face the Lady Mocs on Wednesday. The non-conference match is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. at the Champions Club.
Lee University 8, West Georgia 1
1. Tonya McGraner (LU) def. Nicole Northrup (UWG) 6-1, 6-3
2. Maclain Yowarsky (LU) def. Sierra Brown (UWG) 6-2, 6-3
3. Annie Sandberg (LU) def. Cailey Stevens (UWG) 0-6, 7-6 (8-6), 10-5
4. Jodie Rice (LU) def. Whitney Maples (UWG) 6-2, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Krista Good (LU) def. Katherine Burger (UWG) 6-3, 6-2
6. Kelly Arsenault (UWG) def. Morgan Friedlander (LU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Tonya McGraner/Maclain Yowarsky (LU) def. Sierra Brown/Cailey Stevens (UWG) 8-1
2. Jodie Rice/Krista Good (LU) def. Nicole Northrup/Whitney Maples (UWG) 9-8 (8-6)
3. Kelsey Lovingood/Annie Sandberg (LU) def. Katherine Burger/Kelly Arsenault (UWG) 8-5