USDA acreage reporting deadline for FSA nears
Jul 30, 2013 | 664 views | 0 0 comments | 5 5 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The Farm Service Agency acreage reporting deadline is Friday, Aug. 2.

Farmers and landowners must submit annual reports of acreage to the local FSA county office by Friday.

This applies only to the FSA reporting deadline. The acreage reporting requirement for crop insurance was July 15.

“We want to ensure our producers maintain their program benefits by filing their reports accurately and in a timely manner for all crops and land uses, including prevented and failed acreage,” Administrator Juan M. Garcia said.

Accurate acreage reports are necessary to determine and maintain eligibility for various programs, such as the Direct and Counter-cyclical Program; the Average Crop Revenue Election Program; the Conservation Reserve Program and the Non-insured Crop Disaster Assistant Program.

Producers should contact their county FSA office if they are uncertain about reporting deadlines.

While FSA extended its deadline, Risk Management Agency Administrator Brandon Willis emphasized that RMA’s acreage reporting date was July 15 for most spring-planted crops in the country.

Farmers are reminded to report any loss within 72 hours of discovery to their insurance company.

Farmers must report prevented planting acreage to their insurance company, in writing, within 15 calendar days after the final planting date. Losses must be reported and an insurance adjuster must view and release the crop before it is destroyed.

Farmers are also reminded to contact their insurance agent if they have any questions about coverage, prevented planting, or for reporting and processing a claim.

Crop insurance is sold and delivered solely through private crop insurance agents. Contact a local crop insurance agent for more information about the program. A list of crop insurance agents is available at all USDA Service Centers or on the RMA Web site at

Producers also should visit their USDA Service Center to complete acreage reporting for FSA. For questions on this or any FSA program, producers should contact their FSA county office or seek information online at