The identity of a Cleveland man who was arrested in connection with a hazardous-materials situation on Spring Place Road late Sunday night has been released by the Bradley County Sheriff’s …
The identity of a Cleveland man who was arrested in connection with a hazardous-materials situation on Spring Place Road late Sunday night has been released by the Bradley County Sheriff’s Office.
Mark Lewis Mayes, 42, of 3292 Spring Place Road, was arrested for criminal attempt to manufacture Schedule II fentanyl and felonious possession of drug paraphernalia.
According to BCSO public information officer Adam Lewis, a call was made informing the department of an intoxicated man who was looking in windows of residences. When deputies arrived, the door to Mayes’ apartment was open. A sheriff’s deputy announced his presence by stating, “Sheriff’s Office.”
The deputy said the the apartment was filled with fumes which had a “strong chemical odor.” The deputy also said no one answered when he announced his presence. Sensing that the inhabitant’s life might be in danger, the deputy entered the apartment and found Mayes in a back bedroom. He then immediately escorted Mayes out of the apartment and contacted the Bradley County Dispatch Center.
Members of Bradley County Fire-Rescue arrived and took control of the potentially hazardous scene. Chemical vapors were observed in the living room of the residence. In addition, the chemical smell could be detected from the front yard of the residence.
The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and the Drug Enforcement Administration were contacted.
Mayes gave deputies and members of the hazardous materials team consent to enter his home, Lewis said.
The scene was made safe by Bradley County Fire-Rescue. In addition, a Tennessee Dangerous Drugs Task Force truck arrived at the scene.
After entering the home, the team discovered and seized chemicals, as well as paraphernalia commonly used to manufacture fentanyl — a Schedule II controlled substance. After the items were photographed and inventoried, they were handed over to the hazmat team for disposal.
The cleanup was completed by 11 p.m. The residence was sealed as a protective step, Lewis said.
Lewis told the Cleveland Daily Banner in a previous story that the landlord must have a certified hazmat crew verify that the cleanup has taken care of any chemical residues in the duplex apartment. He said there was no danger to neighboring apartments.
Print subscribers have FREE access to clevelandbanner.com by registering HERE
Non-subscribers have limited monthly access to local stories, but have options to subscribe to print, web or electronic editions by clicking HERE
We are sorry but you have reached the maximum number of free local stories for this month. If you have a website account here, please click HERE to log in for continued access.
If you are a print subscriber but do not have an account here, click HERE to create a website account to gain unlimited free access.
Non-subscribers may gain access by subscribing to any of our print or electronic subscriptions HERE