From the pages of The Banner

This Week in History

Posted 9/24/17

The following items were compiled by the Cleveland Bradley County Public Library from old issues of the Cleveland Daily Banner and its forerunners, the Cleveland Banner, the Journal, and the Journal …

This item is available in full to subscribers

From the pages of The Banner

This Week in History


The following items were compiled by the Cleveland Bradley County Public Library from old issues of the Cleveland Daily Banner and its forerunners, the Cleveland Banner, the Journal, and the Journal and Banner.


D.T. Underwood, contractor of Birmingham, Ala., was lowest of the 15 bidders on the post office improvement here.

The bids were opened Tuesday by the U.S. Treasury Department. Underwood’s bid for the completed work was $51,953. While the Treasury Department advertised the work subject to any and all bids being rejected if none were satisfactory, it is believed the bid of the Birmingham concern will be accepted, as it is around $17,000 below the amount of the allotment yet remaining to be spent.

The allotment for the improvement here was $90,000, and the cost of the lot, and the rent on temporary quarters have reduced the allotment to the sum of $69,000.

The addition to the present building will extend approximately 47 feet along Broad Street to the north of the old building and back along with the old building 78 feet, approximately doubling the present space for post office purposes. Three new offices will be provided on the second floor facing the Broad Street frontage.

The present Broad Street entrance will be moved and enlarged and will be located a few feet north of its present location. The money order and registry division will be located to the right on entering the building from Broad Street and the postmaster’s office will be where the present money order and registry division is located. Private mail boxes will remain as at present, but larger window space will be given over to stamps, general delivery and parcel post.

In the basement along the 32nd Street side three large rooms will be fitted up for government activities, the heating plant is to be enlarged and additional room for storage space will be provided.

The three large trees on the rear of the lot purchased from the Standard Oil Company for the extension will be removed and concrete driveways will approach the building from the Thirty-first Street side. That part of the new lot where the oil station was located will be a grass plot.


J.P. Wood, an employee of the Hardwick Woolen Mills, spoke before the noon day luncheon of the Rotary Club Wednesday on the subject of “Manufacture of Men’s Clothing.”

The speaker explained in detail the grading and sorting of the raw wool. According to the speaker, the wool is then washed and dried, then dyed. The wool is picked, mixed, weighed, carded and sponged before it is spun. One loom weaves about one inch of cloth per minute.

After the cloth is woven, it is inspected for length, width, color and pattern. The woolens are 56 inches wide and numerous patterns can be made, Mr. Wood said. Before the woolens are ready for shipment, they must be pulled, washed, extracted, dried, sheared, pressed, steamed, inspected again, and then bolted.

There are about three and a half yards of cloth in a three-piece man’s suit, or about the wool sheared from the average sheep. In the local mill, where Wood is an employee, two days are consumed to make a suit and over 200 persons handle it before it becomes a finished garment.


A wedding of much interest was that of Miss Thelma Miller and Mr. Arthel Hooper, which was solemnized at the home of the Rev. Samuel Melton, of Big Spring. The attendants were Mr. and Mrs. Alden Hooper.

Mrs. Hooper is the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Miller, of Charleston. Mr. Hooper is the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. J.H. Hooper. The couple will make their home with the bride’s parents for the present.


A representative of the state department of taxation, who is now in Cleveland checking up on the number who have purchased identification tags and prosecuting those who have not, asked that the newspaper issue a warning. This representative stated that the people had been given sufficient time in which to purchase the tags and that they would now be prosecuted and are liable to a fine or $50.


The Cleveland/Bradley County Red Cross Chapter is issuing a call for 300 women volunteers to aid in the production of cotton clothing with their part of the material furnished by the government to the “destitute and distressed” through the local Red Cross chapters.

This call is to meet an emergency as great, as pressing and as desperate as was the call to sew during war days of 1917 and 1918. If the needs are to be met, the sewing machines must be in readiness in homes as well as the Woman’s Club rooms in the public library, which will be used as a serving center for all organizations, which have volunteered for this work.

The cutting of at least half of the garments is being done free of charge at the Hardwick Woolen Mills, which takes care of the greatest difficulty in making garments on a large scale. George L. Hardwick Jr., W.T. Gibson and Mrs. W.T. Gibson are in charge of this branch of service, numbering and assorting all garments to be handled in the work room.

These garments are girls’ dresses and undergarments, boys’ shirts and B.V.D.’s. If you are willing to sew, please register with your church, missionary societies, Parent Teachers association, Women’s Club, U.D.C., D.A.R., Eastern Star, Travel Club, Bridge Club, Embroidery Club or Sewing Circle.

Any organization that has been overlooked or persons not belonging to any organization, can call Mrs. M. L. Harris, chairman of volunteer service; Mrs. J.J. McNabb, chairman of production, or Miss Kate Hurt, assistant.


A fire which broke out at 7 o’clock Thursday morning in the Fillauer building at the corner of Ocoee and 332nd Streets caused several hundred dollars damage to the offices on the second floor and the stock of the Guarantee Clothing Company, which was located on the first floor.

The building was badly damaged. A hole approximately 12 feet long extending the width of the building was burned in the roof. The walls and ceilings were damaged by smoke and water. The fire originated in a small room on the second floor, which was used as a coal room. Eating through the ceiling, it spread to the top of the building and spread out under the roof.

Located as it was, it was very difficult to get to and the firemen experienced difficulty in extinguishing it. Three lines of hose were used and the firemen were kept busy for nearly two hours throwing water in from the roof.

Bob Link, a tinner, who was in the building about an hour before the fire to clean out a stove pipe, said he saw no evidence of fire at the time he was there. The second floor of the building was occupied by the offices of T.L. Rogers & Son, Personal Finance company, attorney Clay James, and Drs. E. Swartz and Wayne McCulley, dentists.

The building formerly occupied by the Frozen Custard parlor, next door to the Hy-Klass Millinery Company, owned by the Taylor heirs, was slightly damaged by fire about 12:30 a.m. Thursday. The firemen arrived in time to extinguish the blaze with chemicals and the resulting damage was slight.



Another landmark of the old days passed when Mrs. Emma Edwards Steed died here Monday.

Mrs. Steed, 75, had lived her entire life here. She was the daughter of Col. R.M. and Mrs. Lucy Craigmiles Edwards and thus was connected on both sides of her family with the best of the old aristocracy of the community.

She was a sentimentalist and idealist, a lover of the beautiful in art and in nature. The writer often observed with what care and pleasure she would tend a flower. She was a devoted lover of music, and devoted most of her long life to the teaching of that art.

Literally hundreds of youth were led to appreciate the better things in music directed by her tutoring. For 40 years she was organist at the Episcopal Church here, of which she was practically a lifelong member. She loved her church and its music, and clung to the last to the fine old compositions of the masters of harmony.

Mrs. Steed is survived by one brother, John C. Edwards; three nieces, Miss Edna Tonkin, Mrs. Southall Tate and Mrs. Wm. J. Pearson; two nephews, Fred J. Tonkin and John Tonkin; one grand-niece, Mrs. Nathan Roberts. An only son, Jimmie Steed, died about 24 years ago.

The body was taken to McLain’s Mortuary Monday from the Ocoee Hotel, where she was living, and remained until Tuesday, when it was removed to St. Luke’s church and lay in state until the hour of the funeral.

The Rev. J. Porter Florence, assistant rector of St. Luke’s church and Venerable Henry J. Geiger, Archdeacon of East Tennessee, conducted the funeral and burial service.

Burial was at Fort Hill cemetery. Pallbearers were Will L. Rogers, George Hain, E. Swartz, E.H. McCowen, Mayor W.J. Parks and James M. Stuart. Honorary pallbearers were M.L. Beard, J.T. Huffine, W.O. Horner, L.T. Hall, James G. Cate and Dr. T.E.P. Chambers.


No comments on this story | Please log in to comment by clicking here
Please log in or register to add your comment


Print subscribers have FREE access to by registering HERE

Non-subscribers have limited monthly access to local stories, but have options to subscribe to print, web or electronic editions by clicking HERE

We are sorry but you have reached the maximum number of free local stories for this month. If you have a website account here, please click HERE to log in for continued access.

If you are a print subscriber but do not have an account here, click HERE to create a website account to gain unlimited free access.

Non-subscribers may gain access by subscribing to any of our print or electronic subscriptions HERE