Two new members were sworn in during the recent meeting of the Col. Benjamin Cleveland Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution at the Elks Club in downtown Cleveland.
Stan Evans swore in William T. May and Dr. Donald E. Robinson and presented them with membership certificates. President Tommy McLain presented each with a Society rosette.
After an invocation, given by Joe Brock, the Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag was led by Van Deacon. Phil Newman led the pledge to the SAR Flag. The pledge to the Tennessee flag was led by James Stone.
Visitors were recognized. Included were Bill Chapman, Dan Crook, Charlie Parson, Connie Cromer, Billy May, Kelly Chamberlain, Jane Tipton May, Robert May, Marilyn May, Carol Spence, Bradley County Sheriff Jim Ruth and perspective members Eddie Moreland, Bob Butler and Shannon Newman.
American Patriotism Awards were given to chapter members who are World War II veterans. James R. May and Jack D. Murphy were recognized. Ronald V. Sellers, who was unable to attend the meeting, will receive the award at a later time.
The award reads “For meritorious service during World War II while serving in the U.S. Armed Forces. This conspicuous performance of duty represents exemplary patriotism in the finest traditions of the U.S. armed forces and reflects great credit upon the recipient, the Military Service and the Sons of the American Revolution.”
Jeff Wells, superintendent park ranger at Fort Loudoun State Park, presented a program on “Ensign John Boges, 6th Regiment of Foot,” who was a soldier at Fort Loudoun. He arrived in 1757 and was probably killed in battle with the Cherokees in 1760.
During the French and Indian War (1754-1763), the British colony of South Carolina felt threatened by French activities in the Mississippi River valley. To counter the threat, the colony sent the military independent company of South Carolina to construct and garrison that became Fort Loudoun.
The move helped to ally the powerful Overhill Cherokee nation in the fight against the French and guaranteed trade would continue between the Cherokee and South Carolina.
During the four years of the fort’s existence — 1756-1760, relations between the garrison and Cherokee broke down. Some were taken captive by the Cherokee, some were released to return to South Carolina. On the trail to Caney Creek, the Cherokee massacred the group. Only one man survived — James Stewart.
Claude Hardison, East Tennessee vice president for the state society, reported that he and Stan Evans attended the Tennessee Society board of governors meeting n Nashville.
At the meeting, the State of Franklin Chapter in Rogersville was approved as a provisional chapter. Three other chapters are also in the process of begin developed in Robertson County, Dyers County and Gibson County.
Three members of the Cleveland chapter SAR recently visited the Rogersville chapter during an organizational meeting. The three — Evans, Hardison and Dave Hicks — assisted the new chapter by providing copies of the Col. Benjamin Cleveland chapter’s bylaws and constitution that can be used as a guide to developing their own constitution.
The installation of the State of Franklin Chapter will be Oct. 22 at the historic Hale Springs Hotel in Rogersville.
The State of Franklin Chapter gives the Tennessee SAR two chapters.
President McLain closed the meeting. Joe Brock gave the benediction.