Co-workers found Simonds’ apparently lifeless body in the restroom but a lifesaving tool was nearby and was utilized by co-workers to give Simonds a second chance at life.
John Montgomery and Jim Floyd began the CPR process and utilized the on-site automatic external defibrillator (AED).
The two men “went through the paces,” to help Simonds, according to Floyd.
Within three minutes from the call to 911, BCEMS and Cleveland Fire Department responders arrived on the scene. The paramedics and emergency medical technicians took over CPR. From the time CPR was initiated to arrival at the hospital, Simonds was “shocked” five times, according to Stan Clark, information officer for BCEMS.
Clark said Simonds had simply been sick and apparently the stress and toll on his body from the sickness caused his internal electric system to short circuit.
Simonds told his co-workers he was going to the restroom to splash some water on his face to feel better and “would be back in a few minutes.”
“David never returned to his work area and his co-workers became concerned. When they went to check on him they found him lifeless on the bathroom floor. He was not breathing and had no pulse. His color had turned blue,” said Clark.
Floyd and Montgomery both had CPR training. They didn’t know how long Simonds had been down and, according to Clark, “things didn’t look good” for the young man.
“David Simonds has since made a miraculous recovery This was one of those cases that you cannot explain. We have had CPR saves over the years. This is one of the most historical and miraculous stories of survival that we have seen,” Clark said.
Community Hero Awards were presented to Floyd and Montgomery.
Clark said the award was established in 2011 to recognize those who go above and beyond to help save someone’s life.
Simonds also received a plaque commemorating his miraculous comeback and his name is placed on the “Second Chance” plaque at BCEMS headquarters.
“David’s story is important. We have had a great many saves and this one stands out. We cannot stress how important it is for employees to be trained in CPR and how to use AEDs. We are also grateful that Rubbermaid recognizes this and requires everyone to be trained,” he said.
“Just to be here is great! That saved my life, and I’m gonna do that,” Simonds said.
Simonds has now been one of those trained and certified.