In House Joint Resolution 949, sponsored by Watson, the Legislature noted:
“A resolution to congratulate Kinser Church of God on the occasion of its 100th anniversary. It is appropriate that the members of this General Assembly should recognize those venerable religious institutions and their congregations that, through their unflagging capacity for love, dedication of spirit, and faith in God, enrich the lives of people in their communities.
“The good people of Kinser Church of God in Cleveland comprise one such congregation that has stood in service to the Lord and the community in which they worship for one hundred years; and the roots of this mighty congregation of believers can be traced back to impromptu worship sessions which moved from house to house within the Taylor Community of Bradley County in 1908 and 1909, a time remembered as the genesis of the Holiness Church.
“In 1912, the Seventh Annual Assembly of the Church of God founded a house of worship known as Dunn Tabernacle, and the Rev. Luther Richards was appointed pastor. The fledgling flock experienced much harassment and rebuke within the community, and the church building was soon burned, forcing worship services to again be held in homes. In 1916, on a tract of land donated by Mrs. Jane Kinser, a new church building called Kinser Tabernacle was constructed and the church formalized its denominational affiliation as a Church of God.
“In August of 1975, a new church building was completed and dedicated and the good people of Kinser Church of God continue to this day worshipping therein. In ensuing years, this stalwart congregation provided for the construction of a parsonage and a community center, the Tom Orr Pavilion and for a century, the good congregants of Kinser Church of God have shone bright as a holy beacon of faith, hope, and salvation for all.
“The church has been guided since 2003 by the ministry of Rev. G.E. Green, who previously served this congregation from 1992 until 1999. Many powerful men of God have shepherded this flock over its century of service: Jessie Clark, W.F. Bryant, Luther Richards, Flavius J. Lee, Wesley Murphy, Will Black, Brother Morgan, E.J. Boehmer, A.V. Chidres, H.L. Sorrow, Harry Whittington, George Lemons, T.L. McLain, George Douglas, Iceam Barrett, Glover Ledford, Cordell Ellis, T.L. Phillips, Thad Richard, R.L. Beaty, Charles Clayton, R.E. Burnaham, John Baggett, Eli Cannon, B.E. Trent, Hugh Don Johnson, C.L. Scoggins, Charles Wycuff, Norman Sims, G.A. Swanson, Robert Cagle, G.L. Geren, Sammy Hughes, George Rayfield, Paul West, A.M. Swiger, O’Neil McCullough, Kelvin Page, Jerry Justice, Richard Bane, Larry Winters, and Mark Hatley.
“Holding firm to its mantra, ‘Souls are our Business, Our only Business’ the congregation of Kinser Church of God is a bastion of faith that has stood rock-solid on Christian beliefs, service, and love over the past century, and it is fitting that it be recognized; now, therefore, be it resolved by the House of Representatives of the one hundred seventh General Assembly of the state of Tennessee, the Senate concurring, that we hereby congratulate and honor the congregation of Kinser Church of God in Cleveland on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of that institution. Further, we extend to them our sincerest wishes for continued success in all future endeavors.”