A Cleveland woman claims to have eaten some metal shavings in an ice cream she ordered at McDonald’s Restaurant on North Lee Highway, which made her ill.
Savannah Blackwell, 22, said she and her two aunts stopped at the restaurant late Wednesday evening. She said she thought small flecks in the ice cream cone were flavoring, but they turned out to be small pieces of metal.
Later the three women went to SkyRidge Medical Center’s emergency room, after they had called with sore throats.
“It was like when you first get strep throat,” she said, adding they had a strong taste of metal in their mouths.
According to Blackwell, her aunts apparently have no lasting effects, but she has continued to be bothered. She added it’s difficult to get the taste out of her mouth.
Blackwell said she had to call her husband, who works at Amazon near Charleston, to come home and take her to the hospital.
The three women did not file a police report after the incident, Blackwell saying they didn’t realize they needed to. Blackwell said this morning they had attempted to get in touch with the state health inspector at the Bradley County Health Department Thursday, but she was not in. State inspector Traci Ford said this morning the women did not leave a message.
The restaurant’s manager and human resource officer said this morning that corporate officials are looking into the incident. The manager said the ice cream machine has been disconnected at the restaurant.
The Banner had not received an anticipated call from McDonald’s corporate offices at press time. Blackwell said she was also awaiting a call from McDonald’s officials.