The Chairman’s Award for outstanding commitment to excellence went to Dennis Lopata, executive director at Life Care Center of Wilbraham, Mass. The Carl W. Campbell Wind Beneath My Wings Award for the companywide volunteer of the year went to Lee Biava, who volunteers her time at Life Care Center of Punta Gorda, Fla.
“The winners of these awards — both for performance and volunteerism — reflect the professional skill and the heart for service demonstrated daily by thousands of people across our company,” said Beecher Hunter, Life Care president. “They are compelled by a remarkable faith and love.”
Lopata was praised for his leadership during the tornado that touched down in the community on June 2. While destruction through the area was widespread, the facility continued calmly caring for residents, even with the main power out. Lopata’s positive attitude helped keep resident and associate morale high.
Biava, whose husband is a resident at Life Care Center of Punta Gorda, looks after associates to make sure they do not neglect a meal in their busy day. She visits one on one with other residents, offering encouragement and empathy. For family members placing their loved one in a nursing home, she offers a listening ear and the knowledge she has gained in her own experience.
Other volunteer winners were Kayla Carter, Youth Volunteer of the Year, from Life Care Center of Hixson, and the Good Shepherd Catholic Church in Overland Park, Kan., for its ministry to residents at Garden Terrace Alzheimer’s Center of Excellence in Overland Park.
Facility of the Year honors went to:
• Life Care Center of Waynesville, Mo., in the Central Division
• Life Care Center of Greeneville, in the Eastern Division
• Westview Health Care Center in Casper, Wyo., in the Mountain States Division
• Life Care Center of Nashoba Valley in Littleton, Mass., in the Northeast Division
• Cottesmore of Life Care in Gig Harbor, Wash., in the Northwest Division
• Darcy Hall of Life Care in West Palm Beach, Fla., in the Southeast Division
• Life Care Center of Escondido, Calif., in the Southwest Division.
President’s Awards went to:
• Laurie Stevens, regional field controller, and Michelle Yosick, regional vice president, for the Central Division
• Robert Hubbartt, executive director at Life Care Center of Athens, and Travis Hillis, executive director at Life Care Center of Tullahoma, for the Eastern Division
• Bryan Merrell, executive director at Life Care Center of Cheyenne, Wyo., and Kelley Hamm, division director of clinical services, for the Mountain States Division
• David Currier, Alzheimer’s program developer at The Highlands in Fitchburg, Mass., and Patricia Woolum, registered nurse at Rivergate Health Care Center in Riverview, Mich., for the Northeast Division
• Matt Preston, executive director of Cascade Park Care Center in Vancouver, Wash., and Dieu Dinh, regional rehab director, for the Northwest Division
• Viviana Portieles, division workers’ compensation coordinator, and Darla Smith, division director of accounts receivable, for the Southeast Division
• Matt Ham, regional vice president, and Kathleen Connolly, executive director at Life Care Center of North Glendale, Ariz., for the Southwest Division.
The Division Support Award went to Jim Spinelli, director of reimbursement for the Northwest Division.
Founded in 1976, Life Care is a nationwide health care company. It operates or manages more than 220 nursing, post-acute and Alzheimer’s centers in 28 states.