During the early 1800s, James Vann and his son Joseph were wealthy Cherokee businessmen, who owned the largest and most prosperous plantation in the Cherokee Nation.
It once covered 1,000 acres of what is now Murray County, Ga., and included 96 buildings. The centerpiece of the plantation was a beautiful, 2 1/2 story brick mansion constructed in 1804.
Today, the mansion survives as one of America’s best preserved historic Cherokee Indian homes.
The house was donated to the state of Georgia in 1952 and, after restoration, was opened to the public in 1958.
During the open house, visitors may tour the mansion at their own pace with guides stationed inside to answer questions.
Also available during the open house and free of normal admission fees is an interpretive center with exhibits and a short film covering the history of the Cherokee Nation and the Vann family, a nature trail leading to Vann’s springs, Vann’s kitchen with exhibits on the 110 African slaves who lived on the plantation, a restored Cherokee dwelling house and the Moravian Mission Cemetery known as “God’s Acre.”
The Chief Vann Huse is located on Georgia Highway 225, three miles west of Chatsworth. For more information, call 706-695-2598.