David T. Richardson identified as man who fell from plane
by By GREG KAYLOR Banner Staff Writer
Apr 02, 2013 | 2144 views | 0 0 comments | 6 6 recommendations | email to a friend | print

Officials have identified the man who reportedly fell to his death from an airplane over Bradley County Friday.

Bradley County Fire Rescue search teams found the body of David T. Richardson, 77, about 300 yards from Station 3 Maroon Branch Fire Hall located on Lead Mine Valley Road, according to BCFR Interim Fire Chief Troy Spence, who is also Cleveland-Bradley County Emergency Management Agency director.

Bob Gault, media relations coordinator for Bradley County Sheriff’s Office released the identity of the victim Monday.

Spence placed search teams in the area Friday evening after utilizing cellphone tracking technology.

According to earlier reports, Richardson and another pilot had been flying a small, single-engine plane. The plane had taken off from Collegedale Municipal Airport in north Hamilton County.

“The flight path took the plane over the southern part of Bradley County, which largely consists of rural areas,” Gault said in a statement Saturday.

“While flying over south Bradley County, the [plane’s] canopy malfunctioned and as a result, one of the two pilots was ejected from the aircraft.”

The other pilot returned to Collegedale and reported the incident.

BCSO, BCFR and Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency were then involved in the search for Richardson.

Tennessee Highway Patrol utilized a helicopter.

According to Spence, a local pilot he identified as John Humberd volunteered to use an ultra-light plane and actually spotted Richardson’s body.

- A grounding cable to a welder was reported stolen by a Red Clay Road resident.

According to a report filed by deputy Tim Myers of the Bradley County Sheriff’s Office, Michael Tuminski said he went to operate his portable welder and noticed the ground cable had been removed from the machine. Tuminski said the welder was on the property at his home where renovations were being made. The welder was parked at the rear of his house.

According to the report, the cable was valued at $250.