Flames earn first GSC soccer victory
by From Lee Sports Information
Sep 23, 2013 | 848 views | 0 0 comments | 13 13 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Lee's Chevon Roberts battles Delta State’s Sebastain Knabke for a loose ball during the Flames’ 2-0 soccer win over Delta State Sunday, at the Lee Soccer field.
Lee's Chevon Roberts battles Delta State’s Sebastain Knabke for a loose ball during the Flames’ 2-0 soccer win over Delta State Sunday, at the Lee Soccer field.
After a pair of heartbreaking decisions, one ending in a double overtime tie and the other in a double overtime defeat, the Lee men’s soccer team recorded its first Gulf South Conference victory Sunday afternoon, with a 2-0 decision over Delta State on the Lee Soccer Field.

“Our guys rebounded well from Friday’s tough loss,” commented coach Paul Furey after his team evened its record at 2-2-1. “We moved the ball well, created chances and got early goals in each half. Our defense hunkered down and didn’t allow a shot on goal in the second half. It was just a nice win for our team.”

Senior Josh Ball didn’t take long to tally his first of two goals. He got an assist from Chevon Roberts and slipped his shot past the keeper with less than four minutes gone in the match. “Our seniors got it going for us early as Chev (Roberts) set up JB (Ball) on the first goal. It set the tone for the rest of the match,” noted Furey.

The Flames held a 1-0 lead at the break and Ball put the icing on the victory cake with his second score of the season at the 53:32 mark. He fired his shot past Delta’s leaping keeper, Milos Boskovic. The assist was recorded by Quade Marinell.

The Statemen’s keeper kept the margin from growing higher. The fired-up Flames rifled 17 shots and 12 were on target. Boskovic came away with 10 saves on a hard afternoon of work. He drew extra praise from Furey and Ball.

On the other end, Lee keeper Tom Halsall turned away four Delta State shots on goal in the opening half and then his teammates took control at midfield and near the net to hold the Statesmen without a shot on goal in the final 45 minutes.

Furey took advantage of a strong bench and seven reserves saw their share of playing time. The Flames were awarded nine corner kicks and Delta State had just four in a contest that was dominated for the entire 90 minutes.

Lee continues GSC play next Friday at 7 p.m. when they host a strong West Florida team. After a day of rest, they will hit the road and travel to Livingston, Ala. to face West Alabama next Sunday.

Lady Flames win third

straight at Columbus State

COLUMBUS, Ga. — Playing what coach Matt Yelton termed as an excellent performance, the Lee women’s soccer team scored its third straight victory and improved to 3-2 on the year with a 4-2 win over Columbus State, a Division II team out of the Peach Belt Conference.

“I thought today was a great demonstration of what a college soccer match should be,” said Yelton. “Both teams played a very good style of soccer and any fan of the game would have enjoyed watching the match.

“Columbus State is an excellent team and extremely well coached, so we knew we would have to be at our best to get a good result on the road. Despite the score line, it was a game that really could have gone either way.

“I thought our team’s performance was excellent today. We played well at times, but the mission today was to put together a more complete performance. I would have to say after watching the game — mission accomplished.”

The Lady Flames opened the scoring at the 19:44 mark when Laura Thacker tallied off a corner-kick assist from Debbie Rogers. Columbus State bounced back and tied the match at 28:47 when Chelsea Person scored on an assist from Kelsey Pelletier. The first-half ended tied at one.

Ten minutes deep into the second half (55:49) Summer Lanter got an assist from Leah Fortune and put the Lady Flames back on top 2-1. The home club bounced right back to tie the match at two less than one minute later (56:10). Nicole Corcione got the goal on Person’s assist.

The Lady Flames took control at the 63:45 mark when Kinsey Cichowitz picked up the second assist of the game by Fortune. Thacker came back with less than four minutes remaining (86:43) to tally her second goal of the day. Rogers also registered her second assist.

“Anytime you get a win like this it’s tough to point out one performance but the play out of our central midfield was excellent,” said Yelton. “Kinsey (Cichowitz), Laura (Thacker) and Debbie (Rogers) were key individuals in allowing us to play with some freedom and they were outstanding with the way they allowed us to keep the ball, plus the play they produced allowed our forwards a lot of time.

“Summer (Lanter) and Leah (Fortune) were also fantastic with their movement and with the understanding that we are starting to develop they are proving to be a very dangerous combination,” he added.

The Lady Flames will face another rugged assignment on Thursday when they entertain NAIA power Lindsey Wilson.

“After a tough start we’ve got our feet back under us,” said Yelton. Our schedule doesn’t allow us to relax. We can enjoy the win on the bus ride home, but it’s back to work and time to get ready for Lindsey Wilson.”