Two Bradley Central High School students were taken to SkyRidge Medical Center Thursday after allegedly ingesting a hallucinogenic drug described by authorities as dangerous and potentially deadly.
Bradley County Sheriff’s Office officials expect to charge the two students and another person who was reportedly involved in the incident.
25-C NBOMe, is described as being somewhat like LSD.
Chief Deputy Wayne Bird said he researched the synthetic drug and found that 14 Americans had died in 2012 from ingesting it. Three of those victims were from Tennessee.
25-C NBOMe is also known as “Tweety-Bird Mescaline,” “N-bomb” and “Smiles” on the street, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.
It is a “Spice” cannabinoid, or designer drug, and these types of drugs are typically sold online or “through illicit channels,” according to the DEA.
Administration of the drug can be through powders, liquid solutions, lacing on edible items or soaked onto blotter papers, such as LSD was in earlier generations.
Officials at BCSO Special Investigations Unit have also encountered a narcotic recently known as “Molly.”
These designer drugs can be manufactured synthetically and promoted “as a legal alternative to MDMA, which is also known as Ecstacy.”
Bird said federal charges could apply in Thursday’s case.
According to Bob Gault, media relations coordinator for BCSO, the students were taken to the hospital for treatment and are expected to recover.
SIU detectives began the investigation along with the help of school resource officers.
They learned the students had ingested the drug “which they acquired after they arrived at school.”
Investigation is continuing, according to Gault.