Alina Sherlin case bound over; Lawson faces January trial date
by GREG KAYLOR Banner Staff Writer
Oct 06, 2013 | 2438 views | 0 0 comments | 16 16 recommendations | email to a friend | print
One Cleveland homicide case has been bound over to a grand jury, and a trial date has been set for another case.

Also, in Bradley County courts, a father of a small child faces 15-25 years after he was convicted of aggravated child abuse.

Alina Sherlin faces a first-degree murder charge in the shooting death of Robert D. Julian.

The shooting occurred in mid-August at her residence on Greenwood Avenue.

Court records show the case will proceed from General Sessions Court to a Bradley County Grand Jury for further review.

If a new bill is issued, the case will then transfer to Bradley County Criminal Court.

According to reports, Cleveland Police Department officers found Julian laying inside the Sherlin home, suffering from a gunshot wound to his chest.

Sherlin allegedly shot Julian with a rifle.

During the bond hearing, Sherlin’s attorney James Logan mentioned that police had responded to the residence just a few hours before the alleged shooting referencing a domestic disturbance.

“Defensive evidence was highly visible on her and made available to the court. She had bruising on her upper extremities,” Logan added.

Logan said Sherlin was cooperating with law enforcement during the investigation.

She was freed after posting a $100,000 bond.

- Aaron Dean Lawson, accused of killing Charles “Eddie” and Debbie Phillips, who were killed at their Leatha Lane residence in April 2011, will face a January 2014 trial date.

Lawson reportedly was the father of the Phillips’ grandchild.

The Phillips couple was shot to death April 19, 2011.

Lawson was charged with two counts of first-degree murder.

Lawson reportedly fled the area and was located in Hamilton County where he had been hiding out in a family member’s junkyard business.

Eddie Phillips was a well-known businessman in Polk County.

- Juan Villa was convicted of aggravated child abuse after a Bradley County jury found him guilty of hurting his 7-week-old child.

Villa was accused along with his wife, Lindsey Lewis.

Lewis was acquitted on the charge.

According to testimony, the male infant had suffered 16 fractures.

Expert testimony from Dr. Marla Sammer and Dr. Carla Garcia was crucial for the jury’s decision, according to 10th Judicial District Attorney’s Office assistant prosecutor Cynthia LeCroy Schemel.

“Villa alleged to have fallen two times with the baby, yet he himself was never injured. The baby’s mother took the child to the hospital for a checkup on both occasions,” Schemel said.

A number of the fractures showed “aging,” according to the forensic investigation.

“It appeared the abuse began May 14, 2012, and was discovered around June 5, 2012,” Schemel said.

Villa will be sentenced in November and faces 15-25 years in the Tennessee Department of Corrections.