Stuart: ‘Mix it up!’
Nov 24, 2013 | 661 views | 0 0 comments | 41 41 recommendations | email to a friend | print
STUART ELEMENTARY Parent Coordinator Joanne Swafford presented fourth-grader Grace Longley with a yearlong family pass to the Creative Discovery Museum. From left are Swafford; Longley; Natalie Killan, Grace’s teacher; and Stuart Principal Randall Stephens.
STUART ELEMENTARY Parent Coordinator Joanne Swafford presented fourth-grader Grace Longley with a yearlong family pass to the Creative Discovery Museum. From left are Swafford; Longley; Natalie Killan, Grace’s teacher; and Stuart Principal Randall Stephens.
slideshow
The Creative Discovery Museum brought its Family Energy Night to Stuart Elementary Tuesday, Nov. 19. The students had to work their way through nine stations dealing with various sources of energy, conservation of energy, and the importance energy plays in our everyday life.

Some of their favorites were: Mix it up! Rev it up! Shock it to me!

At the "Mix it up!" station, students experimented with various chemical reactions in order to produce energy. Students are beginning to understand how chemical reactions help us to perform certain tasks in our everyday world.

At the "Rev it Up!" activity, participants took part in "The Roadtrip Challenge" computer game. Students attempted to go from place to place in the most efficient manner, as this is becoming increasingly important.

Another favorite was "Shock it to Me!" This station allowed students to get up close and personal with electricity using handheld generators, batteries, magnets and a Tesla Coil. Students also learned the importance of completing circuits in order to make electricity travel from one point to another.

Grace Longley, a fourth-grader, at Stuart Elementary School, was selected the winner of a yearlong family membership pass given away by the Creative Discovery Museum.

The new energy fact Grace Longley learned was, "Any sugar your body doesn't process turns to fat."