Playing the second match in as many days, the Lee University tennis teams lost to the University of North Georgia by the same 8-1 scores Wednesday evening at the DeVos Tennis Center.
Tonya McGraner earned a tough-fought win at No. 1 singles. McGraner breezed past Cameron Williams in the first set, 6-2. Williams returned the favor with a 6-1 win in the second set to force a “super-set” tie-breaker where McGraner earned Lee (1-2) a team point by edging Williams 10-8.
North Georgia (4-1) swept the doubles matches to carry a 3-0 lead into the singles competition.
Williams teamed with Natalia Escobar to defeat McGraner and Maclain Yowarsky, 8-2, at No. 1 doubles. Kelsey Lovingood and Annie Sandberg lost by the same score to Audry Marlette and Nela Handac. Jodie Rice and Krista Good fell to Mathilde Baartvedt and Adalyn Hazelman, 8-1.
Morgan Friedlander battled Alexis Lee to a super-set tie-breaker. Friedlander dropped the first set 7-5 and came back with a 6-2 win in the second set. Lee claimed the No. 6 singles match with a 10-3 margin in the super set.
The Lady Flames get back onto the court on Saturday against West Georgia. The Gulf South Conference match is scheduled for a 1 p.m. start.
Richard Gamble gave the Flames (1-2) their lone point with a win at No. 2 singles. Gamble downed Rodrigo Magan in straight sets, winning the first set 6-1 and holding onto a 6-4 score in set two.
North Georgia (5-0) took a 3-0 lead following the doubles action. Magan teamed with Mateus Camasmie to defeat Gamble and Daniel Hardesty, 8-5. Kevin Tan and Vincent Audy had the same result against Alexander Reinauer and Cameron Mistr. Alberto Calle and Westley Lemke were beaten 8-2 by Giovani Santos and Sam Gantt.
The Flames have a week to prepare for their next match. Lee makes the short trip to Chattanooga to take on the Mocs on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m.
Lady Nighthawks 8,
Lady Flames 1
1. Tonya McGraner (LU) def. Cameron Williams (UNG) 6-2, 1-6, 10-8
2. Natalia Escobar (UNG) def. Maclain Yowarsky (LU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Mathilde Baartvedt (UNG) def. Annie Sandberg (LU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Adalyn Hazelman (UNG) def. Jodie Rice (LU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Mallory Kolts (UNG) def. Krista Good (LU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Alexis Lee (UNG) def. Morgan Friedlander (LU) 7-5, 2-6, 10-3
1. Cameron Williams/Natalia Escobar (UNG) def. Tonya McGraner/Maclain Yowarsky (LU) 8-2
2. Mathilde Baartvedt/Adalyn Hazelman (UNG) def. Jodie Rice/Krista Good (LU) 8-1
3. Audrey Marlette/Nela Handac (UNG) def. Kelsey Lovingood/Annie Sandberg (LU) 8-2
1. Mateus Camasmie (UNG) def. Alberto Calle (LU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Richard Gamble (LU) def. Rodrigo Magan (UNG) 6-1, 6-4
3. Alexander Reinauer (UNG) def. Daniel Hardesty (LU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Cameron Mistr (UNG) def. Kevin Tan (LU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Matheus Pineda (UNG) def. Vincent Audy (LU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Mario Mesquita (UNG) def. Westley Lemke (LU) 6-1, 6-4
1. Mateus Camasmie/Rodrigo Magan (UNG) def. Richard Gamble/Daniel Hardesty (LU) 8-5
2. Giovani Santos/Sam Gantt (UNG) def. Alberto Calle/Westley Lemke (LU) 8-2
3. Alexander Reinauer/Cameron Mistr (UNG) def. Kevin Tan/Vincent Audy (LU) 8-5