Bradley County Fire-Rescue firefighters worked in a number of neighborhoods Monday fighting brush fires.
According to BCFR Chief Troy Maney, property on Frontage Road, Lower Chestuee, Spring Place, Robbie Court and an area on Georgetown Road all had firefighters busy extinguishing flames from fires that had gotten out of control in dry, breezy conditions.
Windy conditions fueled flames, according to Maney. One of the largest fires was on property on Lower Chestuee Road. Firefighters battled in the underbrush for approximately three hours, according to reports.
Maney suggested that residents check weather statements regarding prevailing wind conditions as well as making sure a burn permit is issued.
Burn permits are required for Bradley County residents from Oct. 15 to May 15 each year.
Residents should call the Tennessee Department of Agriculture Forestry Division at 478-0337 to check on conditions and obtain permit information.
- Approximately $30,000 in copper components were stripped from air units at a Georgetown Road address.
According to a report filed by deputy Yvonne May, Victor Calfee received word from his heat and air maintenance technician that he noticed the heat and air units had been dismantled at the site of the former Calfee’s General Store, located on Georgetown Road.
After further investigation, it was discovered five rooftop units had been stripped of their copper lines and wiring.
Criminal Investigations Division detectives responded to the scene and collected evidence. It was unknown when the theft occurred, but Calfee said it could have been within the past three weeks.
Investigation is ongoing.
- Deputy Doug Graham of the Bradley County Sheriff’s Office filed a report for a Hidden Forest resident who said someone took items from outside her home.
Deneen Green said she discovered someone had taken an HVAC unit and an aluminum extension ladder.
The theft occurred sometime during the last month, according to the report.
The HVAC unit was not in operation and both it and the 18-foot extension ladder had been stored behind her home.
The missing property was valued at $620.