Manhunt leads to Goode’s arrest
by GREG KAYLOR Banner Staff Writer
Jun 23, 2014 | 1927 views | 0 0 comments | 12 12 recommendations | email to a friend | print
David Jason Goode
David Jason Goode
Just after 10:30 Sunday evening, a man was taken into custody after he fled on foot from Bradley County Sheriff’s Office deputies, leading to a SWAT situation and extensive manhunt.

Mark Howard had been visiting his mother at her Howard Road residence when he reportedly heard a tap on the door and discovered it was David Jason Goode, the suspect who had warrants issued Thursday for two counts of aggravated assault.

The incident began Sunday afternoon when deputies responded to a Benton Pike residence. Goode fled on foot into a wooded area, according to Bob Gault, media relations coordinator for BCSO.

Gault announced that Goode may have been armed and was considered dangerous.

Media releases indicated residents in the Michigan Avenue Road, Peach Orchard Hill Road, Minnis Road and Benton Pike needed to be on the lookout and report any suspicious activity.

“I had [seen] his picture on the news, and I clearly recognized the face,” Howard said this morning. “I knew I had one chance, and that if he got back to the woods he’d be gone. I listened to God tell me what to do, and went on the training that I’ve done for the last several years. Once I got him on the ground, I knew to just sit there and wait.”

Howard is an instructor in martial arts training.

According to a number of social media postings, neighbors in the areas of Benton Pike kept an eye out for Goode and watched law enforcement as they grid searched the neighborhoods. Gault utilized NIXLE, Twitter and Facebook as well as other media outlets to provide information to the public and those residents in the area where Goode had been seen.

According to Gault, Howard Road is located approximately one mile from where deputies began their search after Goode fled into the woods.

Goode was taken to SkyRidge Medical Center for treatment of minor scratches and cuts from moving through the wooded area.

Goode was taken into custody in connection with the aggravated assault warrants.

He is also charged with two counts of failure to appear, once count of violation of probation and one count of theft over $1,000.

Gault said today that additional charges are possible as the investigation continues.