Capt. Donnie Sherlin of the Cleveland Fire Department said Walter R. Free, a driver for Malone Busing, got the school children off the bus after a brake apparently overheated and caused a fire. The incident reportedly occurred on Blue Springs Road and Free pulled into the driveway of the Bradley Farmer’s Co-Op.
The incident was reported to 911 officials at 7:25 a.m. and the students were reportedly en route to Ocoee Middle School, according to Sherlin.
“The driver did a great job at getting the kids off the bus,” said Sherlin.
According to his report, the brake overheated causing a tire to blow, then causing a fire which did gain entry into the bus’ passenger area.
Sherlin said three seats were burned during the fire.
No injuries were reported.
Damage to the vehicle was estimated at $8,000.