The Board met to discuss its long-range spending plan.
Nine items were approved for spending by the 2011-12 school year. The items included:
- Four 78-passenger school buses;
- One special needs bus;
- The replacement of four HVAC units at the Teen Learning Center;
- The replacement of an HVAC unit and energy management software in the east wing and dome at Cleveland High School;
- Replacing HVAC unit in the Cleveland Middle School cafeteria;
- Replacing energy management software at Cleveland Middle School;
- One 10-passenger activity van for the city school’s maintenance department;
- One delivery truck for the maintenance department and
- One transit cargo van for the maintenance department.
The board also approved a suggestion made by Cleveland Schools Director Dr. Rick Denning to set aside 10 percent of the increased sales tax revenue for technology updates.
The Board of Education also plans to hold a meeting at Cleveland High School in November to discuss the needs of the school’s Little Theater. Previous school board meetings reflect the theater is in need of replacing the flooring, auditorium-style seats and lighting.
Projections for the Cleveland Schools sales tax capital projects fund are: $1,073,680 by July 1, 2011; $1,072,512 for the 2011-12 fiscal year; $1,343,077 for the 2012-13 fiscal year; and, $1,436, 068 for 2013-14.
The board also approved a $15,000 request from Cleveland High School for new art equipment.
According to a letter sent to the Cleveland Board of Education, CHS Art Department Chairman J. Wade Jackson stated the CHS Art Department has very basic equipment which limits new techniques and mediums used by various artists. Jackson stated most of the equipment currently used is old and/or outdated. Jackson also cited the importance of having a safe environment for students to work.
“Approving the money for the Art Department in Monday’s meeting was big,” said Peggy Pesterfield.
With the $15,000 approval, the CHS Art Department plans to purchase an Apple iMac computer and an equipment protection plan, photo printer, printer, photoshop programs, pottery wheel and ceramic kilns.